12.19.2012

On becoming a stereotype / college overload

I ran into my cousin the other day, as in I was late to class and doing that really fast walk without running thing (because when you run with a backpack, well that's just embarrassing). And then we got to talking,  our conversation went like this....
Me: hey how are you doing?
Cousin: Good just been a little sick lately
Me: (while rubbing her tummy, its OK we are close) Oh haha what are you pregnant or something
Cousin: actually I was waiting to tell you till I saw you...
Me: what! (mind blown)

I started to tear up and jumping hugs were exchanged. What wonderful news right! After the initial shock I was overcome with the idea that my 21 year old cousin is married and pregnant and still in college. And yet this is not weird.

And then I realized I am also a BYU stereotype! married before I am out of college gasp how could this happen? and yet I know exactly how it happened. BYU is a quite a magical place.

And I am so unbelievably happy for this little ball of sunshine to bring a baby into this world:
(granted this was at least four years ago she is older and much more "mature")

BYU 101:
3 most common reasons to congratulate someone
1. engagement/marriage
2. going on a mission
3. having a baby

Things that are not weird to see or uncommon to over hear on a BYU campus
1. having a baby in your classes
2. looking at a person's ring finger before their face
3. hearing people burst into song (some people find this totally unacceptable cough cough mela)
4. If it is over 50 degrees break out the flip flops and shorts
5. hearing the phrase "I will see you at church" just as much as "I will see you in class"
6. when you hear the word party automatically think of dance or dessert

 It is amazing as an 18 year old I decided to come to BYU just for a year to see how I would like it. four years later I have:







~lived in the dorms and found some of the best friends I could ask for (Jessi not in the dorms but still the best)
~shared a shower with at leas 20 girls on my floor
~ been able to feed all my family with one swipe of my meal plan card (thanks mom and dad)

~ lived with my sister and had some crazy adventures with my family

~ weekend trips to vegas and disneyland

~ meeting this super cute guy ( set up by my sister)

~ falling in love with said guy

~deciding to take him on as a husband

~Going to Jerusalem
~ and all the while discovering who I wanted to be and what I wanted to do

Isn't life great!
BYU I know I complain about how hard your religion classes are, yes I expected that going to seminary at 6 in the morning, every day, would mean I had an automatic A in these classes. What else did we do it for? oh for the experience and education you say? Alright we agree to disagree.  AND I am still bitter about how you are built on a hill and I have repeatedly told Marky that flights of stairs are now my mortal enemy BUT you haven't killed me yet so we are good. forced exercise I guess

Anyway, as you can see I have thoughts on my education. I love going to college and I especially love going to BYU. It is not for everyone, that is why there are so many colleges to pick from. So pick one you could love. It can be fun if you always say yes to new experiences.





No comments:

Post a Comment